Startl is pleased to announce the ten teams selected to participated in our November Mobile Design Boost to be held in San Francisco November 11-14, 2010.
“There were far more applicants than there were slots,” said Diana Rhoten, Co-Founder and Managing Director at Startl. ”The decisions were difficult.”
Each of the teams selected have a specific focus for the learner. The teams are:
- Motion Math: Movement-based learning games for mobile that give learners an intuitive sense of math.
- The Stickery: An educational sticker-book application for preschool kids, with game-based learning elements, on both the iPhone and iPad.
- PowerShift: An inquiry-based science education program for middle school students that leverages smart meter grids, third-party reporting and analytic software, statewide 7th and 8th grade 1:1 portable computer infrastructure, and recurring non-philanthropic revenue streams to realize engaging math and science lessons and statewide home electricity conservation.
- Karunatree: Uses the emotional power of story to connect kids to today’s most pressing environmental challenges, educating and empowering them to help improve our planet’s future
- Hideout: Teaches children early literacy skills which they can apply in a series of interactive games to fill their virtual hideout with crazy interactive loot.
- Zoom Math: Calculator apps that show step-by-step solutions to algebra problems on popular mobile computing platforms, to complement our apps that already run on the graphing calculators most schools use.
- Voxy: Uses hyper-relevant content, mobile technology and gaming mechanics to make learning a new language fun, efficient, and addictive.
- TheCoursebook: A “Yelp” style app for adult education.
- Visual Math: An iPad application for children to learn elementary school standards-based math within an interface and context that appeals to the learning style of visual learners.
- ByGone: A location-based social network where your personal stories become a part of how we experience history.
Design Boost is a four-day intensive bootcamp for prototyping digital learning products. In partnership with IDEO, this multi-day immersion offers teams the ability to refine prototypes, meet with industry experts and panels for user-testing in a collaborative environment. On the final day of the Boost, teams present their prototype to an audience that includes a panel of users, industry experts and market investors.
- Mobile Design Boost for November 2010 – Apply Now
- Startl Design Boost – Spring 2010 (VIDEO)
- Startl’s First Design Boost – A Hit!
- Startl Announces Participants for Mobile Design Boost
- The Day After – Recap of Startl’s Mobile Design Boost