Mashable recently compiled a list of 100+ companies that are transforming education and grouped them into nine categories. If you have a company in the education space – what category are you in? As an investor, what category (or categories) interest you the most?
The categories include:
- New Institutions: Schools, colleges, academies that are online such as KhanAcademy; offline schools with experimental online programs and finally innovative offline programs looking to move the needle such as Startl’s Design Boost and Accelerator programs.
- Learning Management: Platforms such as Blackboard and others helping manage the various components
- Online Content: Whether it’s KhanAcademy or Wikipedia, content still gets to be King, even (and especially) in Education
- Networks and Marketplaces: Tutoring, training, textbook swaps – if there’s a network, there’s a marketplace for that
- Live Training and Tutoring: Live teaching tools are becoming much more accepted and long ago are the days past for closed-circuit television for classrooms or learning remote
- Learner Tools: There is an app for that – or thousands of apps. Many can be found whether you’re studying for the GMAT or looking to learn a new language. Past Startl Design Boost and Accelerator participants fit squarely in this category such as MotionMath and MindSnacks.
- Collaborative Learning: These environments put to rest the thought of moving learning to the computer would be isolating. Noted companies on the list include OpenStudy.com, LiveMocha.com and others.
- Funding Payments: A niche that hasn’t been widely explored but interesting as it looks at the price barriers in education and companies that look to creatively change costs and/or fund the learner. ”Enzi.org and GradeFund help students get crowdfunded loans and sell shares of their future salaries.”
- Hardware for Education: Laptops, tablets and more – those creating and providing hardware for the hands of learners such as One Laptop Per Child.
- Application Deadlines, Cool Companies and more!
- Have a Design Boost or Accelerator Program Question?
- Education in the Cloud?
- Vote for Easel Learning in The Crunchies Awards
- Voxy to List of 5 Startups Transforming Online Education